Expat Chat Episode 57 – US Retirement Accounts For Australian Expats
Welcome to the fifty seventh episode of #Expatchat where we discuss the latest tax and financial issues affecting an #Australianexpat.
Many Australian expat destinations offer their own version of a retirement account and the US is no different.
Whether its a 401k, ROTH IRA, or a Back Door IRA Australian expats will be offered to participate in these when they are employed by a US company.
Whilst there maybe a number of financial and tax incentives in the US to participate in these retirement plans its important that Australian expats understand how they work, and if you are considering cashing them in when you are leaving the US, what are the considerations.
Discussion Points on Todays Podcast Episode
In this episode we run through the following topics:
- What is a IRA?
- How does a 401k differ from a ROTH IRA?
- How does the taxing element differ from the traditional Australian super funds?
- Are you better off redeeming the 401k/IRA whilst you are a US resident or a Australian tax resident?
Links that we discussed in this episode include:
- Ask Atlas – Have your questions answered on the podcast by clicking this link – https://atlaswealth.com/news-media/australian-expat-podcasts/questions-or-feedback-for-the-expat-podcast/
- Expat Mortgage Podcast – https://atlaswealth.com/news-media/australian-expat-podcasts/expat-mortgage-podcast/
Make Sure You Don’t Miss An Episode of the Expat Chat Podcast
To ensure you don’t miss any future episodes make sure you subscribe to our podcast on your favourite channels below.
As we’d like to educate as many Australian expats as possible we’d also sincerely appreciate it if you could share this page using the buttons at the bottom of this article.