Expat Chat Ep 39 – When A Tax Free Investment Isn’t Tax Free
Welcome to our thirty ninth episode of #Expatchat where we discuss the latest tax and financial issues affecting an #Australianexpat.
In today’s Expat Chat we talk about the murky world of investment bonds and the dubious circumstances that they are sold under.
When a Australian expat moves either to Asia or the Middle East it is only a matter of time before they receive a unsolicited call from the dreaded Offshore IFA.
With a very smooth sales pitch they will appeal to your financial concerns and try to convince you that purchasing a offshore investment bond is the answer to your questions.
But is it?
Discussion Points on Todays Podcast Episode
Some of the topics that we run through are:
- What are investment bonds?
- Why aren’t they appealing?
- Why these bonds are sold as a tax free investment but the reality may not be the case?
- What is the ATO’s opinion of offshore investment bonds?
Links that we discussed in this episode include:
- Australian Expat Mortgage Podcast – https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/expat-mortgage-podcast/id1584534329
- Australian Expat Financial Forum Facebook Group – https://www.facebook.com/groups/Australianexpatfinancialforum/
Make Sure You Don’t Miss An Episode of the Expat Chat Podcast
To ensure you don’t miss any future episodes make sure you subscribe to our podcast on your favourite channels below.
As we’d like to educate as many Australian expats as possible we’d also sincerely appreciate it if you could share this page using the buttons at the bottom of this article.