Top 10 Relocation Tips for an Australian Expat Moving to Dubai – Relocating to another country is an exhilarating experience, and when that country is as diverse and culturally rich as Dubai, there’s a lot to be excited about.
However, to ensure a smooth transition, it’s essential to be well-prepared.
Here are the top 10 relocation tips for an Australian expat moving to Dubai:
- Understand the Culture and Laws: Dubai is a part of the United Arab Emirates (UAE), which has its unique culture and strict laws, rooted deeply in Islamic traditions. While it’s a cosmopolitan city, certain behaviors and dress codes are expected. For instance, public displays of affection are frowned upon.
- Sort Your Visa and Work Permit: You’ll require a residence visa to live in Dubai, typically sponsored by your employer. Make sure all your paperwork is in order, and you understand the terms of your visa and employment contract. It always pays to get your documents Attested by both DFAT and the UAE embassy in Australia before you move.
- Find Suitable Accommodation: While Dubai offers a range of accommodations from luxurious villas to high-rise apartments, the rent can be steep. A number of employers provide housing allowances. Research the different neighborhoods to find one that aligns with your lifestyle and budget.
- Adjust Your Financial Plans: Dubai has no income tax, which can be a significant advantage. However, living expenses can be high. Opening a local bank account is crucial, and always ensure you are aware of the end-of-service benefits stipulated in your employment contract.
- Prepare for the Climate: Dubai’s climate is a stark contrast to Australia’s. With scorching summers and mild winters, ensure your accommodation has efficient cooling systems. Stay hydrated and protect your skin from the intense sun.
- Get Health Insurance: While Dubai boasts high-quality healthcare, it can be costly. Ensure you have comprehensive health insurance, preferably one that’s recognized widely throughout the city.
- Be Ready to Network: Dubai is a melting pot of cultures with a massive expatriate community. Engage in local events, join expat groups, and participate in community activities to build your social and professional network. Joining the Australian Business Council Dubai is always a great start. They have a large mix of professional and social events.
- Acquaint Yourself with Local Transportation: While driving is popular in Dubai, there’s also a robust public transportation system, including the metro, buses, and water taxis. If you choose to drive, be prepared for the fast-paced traffic and understand the local driving customs.
- Adapt to the Local Time: Dubai is 6 hours behind Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST). Adjusting your internal clock might take a couple of days, so give yourself time to acclimate to prevent jet lag from impacting your initial days.
- Stay Open-minded: Every relocation comes with its set of challenges. It’s essential to remain open-minded, patient, and adaptable. Embrace the cultural differences, learn from the locals, and most importantly, enjoy the experience.
In conclusion, moving from Australia to Dubai is a significant change, but with the right preparation, it can be a rewarding journey for every Australian expat.
Embrace the adventure, respect the local culture, and you’ll soon find yourself feeling right at home in this vibrant desert metropolis.
If you’d like to take a more indepth look at what it’s like relocating to Dubai click on the banner below and download our Australian Expat Relocation Guide – Dubai Edition.